Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mama Bird

It's mother's day! That obviously means I had to come up with something absolutely unique for the mothers in my life. I wanted to combine a few things they love: baklava, almond paste, and chocolate truffles. An interesting mix, I know!


I stared off with the idea of an edible birds nest made of kataifi, a middle eastern phyllo dough used to make baklava. I had seen these nests a few times in and around the interweb, and thought I'd give it a try. It was my first time working with this stuff, and although a little messy, it worked out perfectly fine.


I then filled the nests with white chocolate truffles with an almond centre shaped as the eggs. The birds were made of almond paste, and then a sugar magnolia for prettiness! 


My sister-in-law went out and collected these great branches to put it all together on (Yes, she's great like that!).


A very happy mother's day to all the wonderful moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment